SlideShow

. . . . ..This is Abraham Finny Dayasingh(06AF102). Friends call me Binnybhai. Aim in life is to become a politician. Love travelling , photography, cycling. Thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave a comment if you enjoyed.
0

* jonty rhodes




As a teenager I was confirmed in a church, but that didn't mean much to me at the time. I was just a Christmas and Easter Christian. Those were the only times I'd go to church. But then I met Kate (McCarthy). She was very committed and so were her mom and dad, Pauline and Alan. I saw the peace that Kate had with the Lord and I wanted it. I had just got into the Natal cricket and hockey teams at the time and I was feeling a lot of pressure. I was staying on my own and life was a real struggle. I remember thinking to myself one night, "Jonty, you're going nowhere."






I knew I needed the Lord in my life, and started going to church in Pietermaritzburg. One night, I caught the minister, Errol Jacoby, after the service and asked him for help. He took me into the cry room at the back of the church. The crying room-it was kind of appropriate, because it was there that I cried my heart out to the Lord and gave my life to Him. I must have cried for about two and a half-hours. I look back on that experience as a cleansing of the Spirit.Now I know why God put Kate and I together, because she was the one that set me on the right track.





What difference has being a Christian made in your life?


I feel I've grown up in my personality and become more giving since becoming a Christian. You realize that you don't take the glory. God gives your life and your sporting career a sense of purpose.





It must be difficult for married players being away from their wives on tour. How do you handle the pressure your career brings?


Any tour over two months, Kate will fly over and join me for at least four weeks. We feel that as long as we are growing closer to God, we are growing closer to each other. Our phone bill goes through the roof!





Do Christians in the national squad find many opportunities to share their faith? How do you encourage each other?


We try and get together whenever possible to support and encourage each other. We also get the chance to share our faith at various churches, dinners and breakfasts.





Some people have been critical of the fact that Peter Pollock, an outspoken Christian, is one of the national selectors and gives Christian players such as yourself an edge in the selection process. What's your response?


would be so lucky! There is no ways that we have an edge, as both Andrew Hudson and I have been left out of the Test side before.





You're seen by many of the public as the most vibrant player on the field. (Who can forget the famous run out of Inzaman-ul-Haq when you went driving across his stumps?) How do you handle the adulation of the fans?


It's a fantastic opportunity to be able to make a difference, albeit a small one, in the lives of many people. I have never had anyone do anything they or I might regret, as I think that people respect the fact that I am a Christian.





Tell us about the future. How long do you intend playing cricket professionally?


My future is in the Lord's hands, and I know that He'll open the appropriate doors for me after my professional career is over. But I will keep playing as long as I am enjoying the game-or until the selectors stop picking me!

0 comments: